The application of pressure, stretching and movement of the feet stimulates circulation and covers all the body system, helping to eliminate toxins, remove energy blocks and restore the natural balance of the body.
While Reflexology is ideal for those who have particular health concerns, it is also beneficial for those who have no specific symptoms to deal with. Those who are healthy will find Reflexology relaxing and may have very little or even no reaction to the treatment, while those who have health concerns may notice that they experience a tingling sensation in the foot or feel ‘bruised’ in the area concerned. When undergoing our therapists advise that there should be no pain experienced during the treatment and they will be able to adjust the pressure to suit each individual client.
There is a wide range of conditions that are known to benefit from a reflexology treatment, and these include PMS, sciatica and even constipation.
When having a treatment our therapists will need to know if they are suffering from any conditions, as there are some circumstances in which they may not be able to provide the treatment. Those who have a fever, for example, or thrombosis, may be advised to reconsider. Those who are in the early stages of pregnancy or about to undergo surgery will not be able to have the treatment either.
Ensure that the therapist knows as much as possible about your health before the treatment begins, so that a proper assessment can be carried out.
TREATMENT INFORMATION, ADVICE AND AFTERCARE
To achieve maximum benefits from your treatment, we recommend following some basic tips and advice.
With all our therapies, a one-off treatment will always be beneficial, especially when particularly stressed. However, the best way to reduce stress levels and maintain balance and wellbeing is to incorporate regular treatments into your lifestyle. Our recommendation is to have an initial course of treatments either on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and then regular monthly treatments. Full aftercare advice is given during your treatment.
If you are unsure which treatment to choose please contact our therapists for advice and to discuss your options further.
Professional massage, holistic and complimentary therapies are not meant to replace any medication, medical treatments or regular check-ups with your GP.
Our top tips
- You can expect to feel relaxed and calm after a treatment, try to arrange to have your massage when you have a little time to enjoy its benefits.
- Do not shower or bathe directly after a treatment for at least 6 – 8 hours. The essential oils used, need to penetrate the skin in order to be absorbed into the system to achieve optimum results.
- Discuss the possibility of other treatment options with your therapist to assist with stress and other conditions, if necessary.
- Remember Esme’s golden rule of “Drink plenty of water to assist in the elimination of toxins from the body”.
Before your appointment
- Leave your worries behind you!
After your appointment
- Get plenty of rest. You may feel tired after treatment, allow time to rest and relax mentally and physically.
- Listen to your body, if you feel tired try having a nap, if you feel full of energy go for a short walk but DO NOT overexert yourself.
- Avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours, as massage is a detoxifying treatment.
- Eat a light diet to assist the detoxification and healing process.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal after the treatment.
- Avoid smoking.
- Cut down on consumption of teas, coffee and alcohol.
- Postural exercises and gentle stretching can help with muscle tension as well as exercises that will assist with mobility.
- Do breathing exercises to assist with taking in oxygen to your fullest capacity
- If oils have been used in your hair apply shampoo to hair before wetting it and massage into hair, this will help dissolve the oil easier.
Occasionally, you may experience any of the following reactions up to 24-48 hours after treatment; this is known as a contra-action or a ‘Healing Reaction’ and is the body’s response to the treatment:
- Localised tenderness, aching or soreness within the muscles.
- Dizziness or nausea.
- Flu like symptoms.
- Increased trips to the toilet.
- Increased thirst.
- Fatigue, restlessness and inability to settle/sleep and a disrupted sleeping pattern.
- Feeling tearful.
These reactions are uncommon but perfectly normal and show that toxins are being expelled from the body, so that it may re-balance and cleanse itself, and you will feel a greater sense of well- being afterwards. If you have any concerns, please feel free to contact us on 01458 835952.
- Drinking water or herbal teas can help speed up this process and reduce symptoms.
- Please take the time to tell us if you experienced any of the above the next time you come for a treatment, so you can get the best possible treatment.
- In the unlikely event that you experience any severe pain or discomfort, please seek advice from your GP.