We all love a massage for its relaxing benefits, but massage is amazing for our health too! Studies have shown that massage can boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, reduce pain, improve sleep and just all-in-all improve general well-being. A relaxing massage can reduce anxiety, stress and depression.
An aromatherapy massage is a swedish massage therapy, using massage oil or lotion that contains essential oils (highly concentrated plant oils). During an aromatherapy massage, you inhale these essential oil molecules or absorb them through your skin. Aromatherapy massage is used for a variety of different reasons, including relaxation, pain management, and improved mood. Some of the health benefits of essential oils used in aromatherapy include its ability to reduce anxiety, ease depression, boost energy levels, speed up the healing process, eliminate headaches, boost cognitive performance, induce sleep, strengthen the immune system, reduce pain, improve digestion and increase circulation.
Different oils have great benefits for different things, listed below are some of the many different base and essential oils and their uses and benefits within aromatherapy.
Massage Base – Carrier Oils:
- Grapeseed- Contains high amounts of omega chain fatty acids and vitamin E. Is suitable for all skin types, even sensitive skin.
- Sweet Almond- An intensely hydrating carrier oil, especially suited to dry, sensitive and irritated skin. Rich in minerals, vitamins, proteins and essential fatty acids, helping to soften, nourish and revitalise the skin.
- Soya Bean- Suitable for all skin types. Naturally high in lecithin, sterolins, and vitamin E.
- Coconut- Naturally contains Lauric Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin E .
Essential oils using grapeseed as a carrier oil – Suitable for all skin types even sensitive:
- Cucumber- Good for dry, dehydrated skin, good for refreshing and rejuvenating. Keeps the body free from toxins and aids digestive problems. Has laxative properties. Helps maintain blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Anti-inflammatory benefits, is effective in treating arthritis, joint pain, as well as bone and muscle swelling problems.
- Helichrysum- Anti-allergenic, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, fungicidal and astringent properties. Good for stretch marks, surgical scars, bruising and wounds of all kinds. Calming, antidepressant and uplifting properties. Connects body and spirit, and aids spiritual growth. Useful for muscular aches, pains, sprains, strains and rheumatism. Helps with bacterial infections such as colds, flu and fever. Helps to relieve congestion of the liver and spleen.
- Lemon- Antiseptic properties, useful for treating oily skin and acne, and for reviving a dull complexion. Uplifting oil , has antidepressant properties. It can help to ‘spring-clean’ the mind and enhance mental performance and memory function. Antibacterial and antiviral properties and can help protect the body against infection. Useful in lymphatic drainage massage, and its ability to balance acidity. Beneficial for problems such as rheumatism, arthritis, gout and digestive acidity. It can also stimulate and strengthen the circulatory system.
- Peppermint- Soothing, cooling effect on the skin. It can help to reduce redness and inflammation and calm irritation and itchiness. Stimulates the mind and improves concentration, mental agility and focus. Beneficial for mental fatigue and depression, helping to stimulate the spirit and alleviate feelings of negativity and insecurity. Aids digestion cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, flatulence, indigestion, IBS. Relieves migraines, headaches. Helps respiratory problems, coughs and colds. Soothing effect on muscular, aches, pains and strains when applied externally.
Essential oils using sweet almond as a carrier oil – rich in minerals, vitamins, proteins and essential fatty acids, helping to soften, nourish and revitalise the skin:
- Lavender- Antiseptic properties, soothing and nurturing, helps to tone and revitalise the skin, helpful for a range of skin problems including acne, oily skin, dandruff, burns, wounds, insect bites and stings. It is also an effective insect repellent. Soothing and calming effect on the nerves. It can be beneficial for treating stress, anxiety, depression, nervous tension and insomnia. Pain-relieving, can be beneficial for headaches, muscular aches and pains (particularly when associated with sport), rheumatism and arthritis.
- Patchouli- Regenerates healthy, new skin cells, heal wounds and reduce scarring. Good for rough, cracked and dehydrated skin. Reduces inflammation, good for dermatitis, acne, eczema, sores, ulcers, fungal infections and scalp disorders such as dandruff. It can also be used to treat insect bites and as an insect repellent. Soothing, stabilising and slightly hypnotic. Helps balance emotions, stress, depression, anxiety, depression, lethargy. Grounds and centres people who are prone to day dreams and is also good for meditation for calming ‘mental chatter’. Excellent diuretic properties, beneficial for reducing water retention and the appearance of cellulite
- Valerian- Can be used for skin complaints, such as ulcers, eczema and minor sores and (closed) wounds. Calming and grounding, with tranquilising properties. Helps to calm and relax the nervous system, beneficial for anxiety, stress, depression, restlessness, insomnia and for helping people cope with emotional trauma and tension. Can assist with pain relief and relax spasms. Can be used to treat migraines, PMS and painful periods. Helps to lower blood pressure, stimulate the appetite, improve digestion and help combat stress-related indigestion.
If you would like to find out more information about the aromatherapy massage that we offer, different essential oils and their properties, or you would like to book in a treatment with us; please give us a call on 01458 835952, email us at email@example.com or visit our website at https://thevioletbutterfly.co.uk/treatment/aromatherapy-massage/. If you’re in the area feel free to pop into the salon and book in with one of us or simply have a chat about the treatment in further detail with one of our friendly therapists. Have a great summer!